Thursday 28 July 2011

Who said this is all about art? My rant for the day.

This is mostly a personal rant about crappy customer service so you don't need to read on if that topic is a bore to you. :)

You know you’re in for an interesting day when the alarm clock goes off and you discover the cat has sat on it during the night and changed the wake up time.

The next thing, I decide rushing out the door, to buy daughter a sandwich for lunch and donuts for breakfast at the Darley corner bakery where the people are nice. But first, I go to my least favourite store in town to get money.

There’s no one at the front of the store except me and the two young ladies at the register. Laughing, I tell one of them the ATM won’t read my card so I’ll dash in and grab a couple of things and get money on the way out. She smiles.

As the other cashier puts my items through I ask for the cash out.

“No. I haven’t got any,” she said. And she offers no solution or condolence.
I’m stunned. “What about you?” I ask the other and she said the same.

“We don’t give money out this early in the morning. We’re not a bank.”

So, I asked her why she smiled and let me go into the store, knowing that getting money was the only reason I was buying anything.

“You don’t need to buy anything to get money out,” the first girl pipes up as though trying to be helpful.

And the other said: “I didn’t hear you. I wasn’t listening to you.”

So now comes the grumpy old woman rant. Are you ready?

Why is it these people cannot seem to apply any level of common courtesy LET ALONE CUSTOMER SERVICE?

The people in the corner bakery are just lovely. The chap in the petrol station on the other corner is very nice. The pharmacy are personable and compassionate. I’m not sure about the hairdressers but I figure they’re in the business of making people happy with their hair and I know it’s a clichĂ©, but hairdressers tend to love to talk.

So why is it the only other business in that centre, the main one, just can’t seem to figure out that if you’re nice to customers, they’ll come back and in the long run it makes your own job more enjoyable?

This one is STRIKE THREE. Strike one and tolerated was the assistant manager packing ice cream with a roast chicken and me not discovering it until I got home. Strike two was the dressing down I got from a cashier in front of customers when I politely asked her not to pack bread with milk. “Don’t you dare tell me how to do my job,” was part of her rant.
Once again I have put Darley supermarket on my COVENTRY list and I don’t care how congested the traffic is in to town, I will not be going back there.

On the plus side, when I finally got Robyn to school everyone was so nice, from the ladies in the office to Robyn’s aide and teacher and her classmates. Funny how a bunch of eight-year-olds ‘get it’.

No comments:

Post a Comment